How does the microwave oven work?
Microwaving food is a quick way to heat it up. The microwave works by using electromagnetic radiations, which are waves of electrical and magnetic energy moving together to heat food. These microwaves are reflected within the metal interior of the oven where they are absorbed by food. They can heat food by exciting water molecules in it, causing them to vibrate and heat up.
The microwaves used in a microwave oven have much smaller wavelength than those in a radio or television. They are measured in millimetres and are produced by a process called radiofrequency radiation. The microwaves interact with the food inside the oven, heating it up faster than it would be heated in a normal oven.
Boiling water inside the microwave oven
When water is microwaved, the molecules in the water are forced into a tighter arrangement than they would be in a normal oven, they move rapidly which cause friction between water molecules to generate heat. Microwaves can heat water to boiling temperature.
The electromagnetic waves in microwaves heat water molecules in random spots so it’s important to stir the water before you put it inside the microwave, also it’s better to stir it every 1 or 2 minutes to control the temperature. So you can boil water in a microwave however microwaves may heat water unevenly.
When boiling water in the microwave be sure to take proper precautions how to safely do it. Here are six easy steps to follow
- Choose a microwave safe bowl glass or ceramic bowls work best.
- Put water into an unsealed container do not seal or cover the container.
- Place a non-metallic object in the container this could be a chopstick or popsicle stick which will prevent the water from superheating.
- Stir the water after each one to two minute interval until the water has boiled.
- Carefully remove the container use hot pads to avoid burning.
So microwaving water is a lot safer than you might think, it is convenient and safe. According to current research no negative health effects are associated with boiling water in the microwave.
This is a list of some instructions that you should follow to insure your safety while you are boiling water inside the microwave oven :
- Only boil water in the microwave oven in an approved containers do not use plastic or glass unless it’s rated safe for microwave use.
- Metal should never be put in the microwave.
- Steam vapor can cause burns, so be sure to protect your skin and do not put your hands directly above boiling water until it has cooled slightly.
- Read your microwaves instructions carefully to familiarize yourself with its power output settings and suitable containers.